FIRE IN UNIONTOWN. – Last night a row of three or four small frame dwellings located in Uniontown, were totally destroyed by fire. It is supposed to have been the work of an ordinary. There was no possible means of extinguishing the fire, and but few of the neighbors knew any thing of it until this morning. Uniontown is but commenced. The land formerly belonged to Enoch Tucker, Esq., is situated on the Maryland side of the Eastern branch, and was purchased by Messrs. Fox, Van Hook, and Dobbler, who divided it into building lots and sold to various persons, and some of them have commenced building. The finished buildings belong to Messrs. T. W. Perkins, H. Martin, and a gentlemen whose name we could not ascertain but who lives in the city, and owned the burnt row. There is a also a smithshop standing, belonging to Lloyd Jenkins. The rumor this morning that all of Uniontown, except two houses and a smithshop, was burned last night, startled those who did not know which town was referred to.
Evening Star, 6 November, 1854, p. 3