Posts Tagged DHCD

Lost Anacostia: Big K Demolished

Big K, at the corner of Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue SE and Morris Road since 1906. (Old Anacostia)To make way for a pending $50 million dollar affordable housing development in Historic Anacostia, the former Big K Liquor store was razed this past weekend. Falling beyond the boundaries of the Historic District by mere inches, little could be done to save the building, which was more than one hundred and ten years old.

Here’s a look at its history and a short interview with a local resident speaking to his memories and feelings about the neighborhood remnant.

Grocery Store Origins

In 1905 James V. Conway, a merchant in Anacostia acquired a vacant lot at the corner of Nichols Avenue, today Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue, and Morris Road. The next year, Conway applied for a building permit to construct a two-story structure, a grocery store below and housing above, and a rear shed. For a number of years Conway and his family ran a business and lived on the property.Big K Original Building Permit - 4.4.1906 _ p. 3

In the mid 1920s the grocery store came under new management. Unfortunately, in April 1946 a tragic death befell the lot.

“The neighborhood at Nichols avenue and Morris street S.E. was piecing together the evidence which might explain the death yesterday of its popular grocer, Jacob Denenberg,” read the Evening Star on April 17th. For the past 21 years, Mr. Denenberg, described as “moustached and goateed,” had run a popular store. Across the street from the police station, officers “looked to him for their midnight lunches.” In and out foot traffic was constant. “Tales of neighborhood life were told in his store year after year, tales of birth, death and marriage. The store was a community place and the proprietor knew every one.”

A month before Denenberg had sold his store. He erected a sign letting locals know the grocery would be torn down and a theater erected in its place. There was comfort knowing Denenberg planned to find a nearby building and re-open. However, “inquiries within recent days brought from Mr. Denenberg the opinion that good locations were hard to find.” He was reportedly in bad spirits, thinking he had sold too low, and “was seen leaving a hardware store with a length of window sash rope in his hand.” Shortly thereafter, “his wife found her husband’s body hanging by a rope from a bannister on the first floor of the store building.” He was 50 years old.

For an unknown reason the theater never came. Later that fall, Baby’s Butler Service opened. The short-lived business took out a large newspaper ad promising, “Leading Brand Baby Food and Supplies Delivered Right to Your Door … Once Each Week!” Before the close of the decade the property was once again a market.

Beginning of Big K

On September 30, 1964, Isadore and Gertrude Kushner, applied for a licence from the D.C. Alcoholic Beverage Control Board to operate a wine and liquor store at 2252 Nichols Avenue. The Kushners were a family known in the area, one of their sons was a star football player at Anacostia High School that year.

Evening Star_ 09-26-1964 _ p.14 _ Mark Kushner-page-001

Evening Star, September 26, 1964, p. 14

The Big K Liquor Store was born and for more than sixty years would be a neighborhood feature. It is unclear when the brick wall facing lower Martin Luther King Jr. SE was christened with the dominating “BIG K” mural. Anecdotal evidence suggest it appeared in the mid 1960s.

Upon opening, the Kushners regularly advertised for full and part-time help in the local papers. They ran a delivery service and when new products were released, they participated in city-wide releases. For example, in  June 1969, Big K was one of the nearly 100 liquor stores serving as the official depot for the sale of “Rebel Yell Southern Sour Mash Bourbon.”

A city health inspector visited in fall of 1974, accompanied by a journalist who noted, “cigarette butts cover the floor like leaves in November.” They were given 7 days to clean up. During the holidays of 1975 they ran a series of print ads claiming, “Our National Brands Cheaper Than Other’s Private Labels.” They would be open all day Christmas.

From a variety of sources, including an uncle, Big K served as a neighborhood check-cashing business with long lines regularly forming on Fridays. In order to cash your check, you had to spend a certain portion on beer and wine. Gertrude was well-known by young children and daily drinkers as “Dirty Gertie” for her propensity to short-change customers.

A Washington Informer article from the early 1980s noted, “Lennie Kushner of Big K Liquors is back on the Big K scene after hospitalization. Lennie thanks all those who were concerned about his illness. Butch Perry is no longer at Big K where Bobby, Andy, Noah, David, Benny, Harvey Moore and Ray Brown are working under Anne Kushner’s supervision.”

By the late 1980s, the Kushners leveraged their liquor store and the adjacent properties on Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue they had acquired over the years — 2228, 2234 and 2238 — for an $80,000 loan from Riggs Bank to stay afloat.

City Takes Ownership

In the early 2000s, times were time tough for the Kushners. The three residential properties they had acquired next-door to the liquor store were in such a state of neglect and squalor the city pursued legal action. Under Mayor Fenty the “Big K lot” of 2228, 2234, 2238 and 2252, the liquor store, were purchased by the Department of Housing and Community Development for just short of 1 million dollars in 2010.

In subsequent years there have been countless community meetings and public debates over the preservation of the buildings and development of the lot.

In 2012 2228 MLK, the oldest home, was razed. In 2013 plans for disposition of the properties to Chapman Development for $1 began. After the Historic Preservation Review Board denied the development plan’s application, in 2014 the Mayor’s Agent got involved. In early 2017 the development plans secured $50 million in financing and the two remaining historic homes were relocated. This weekend the Big K was finally leveled.

“Just a Liquor Store”

Big K gone in March 2017. (Old Anacostia)I stepped inside the Big K Liquor store once or twice, back in 2009 or so. A co-worker wanted to pick up some Sutter Home Wine. I remember asking the weather-worn man if neighborhood chatter of their being shotguns at the ready behind the counter were true. He was not amused. I once saw the staff go through the lengthy process of padlocking the front door at closing time, a “Lorton style of entry,” as a resident recently referenced. The Kushners were not ones to invest in a modern security system. It finally closed in late 2009 or early 2010.

“I bought a lot of ‘Bumper’s’ of Colt 45 out of there and much, much, much cheap wine,” says Arnold Kieffer, a tinknocker and former juvenile delinquent in and around the neighborhood forty years ago. “Plus the fact it was across the street from # 11 [Police Station] where unfortunately I seemed to end up at far too many times to remember. In short, it was always there, definitely a landmark, can’t imagine going up Nichols Avenue without it being there.”

“Big K is almost like the Shrimp Boat,” said law professor and poet Brian Gilmore who for 7 years worked and wrote about Anacostia, “but it was really just a liquor store.”

 

, , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments

ANACOSTIA ALERT: Mayor Gray to Provide Update on Affordable Housing Progress [October 8, 2014 – 10:30am – 11:30am]

2200 block of MLK - parking lotWHAT/WHO:   Mayor Vincent C. Gray and Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) Director Michael P. Kelly will provide an update on the administration’s efforts to produce and preserve affordable housing for District residents. Director Kelly will also announce the 2014 Notice of Funding Availability awardees.

The announcement is part of Mayor Gray’s regular Biweekly Press Briefing. 

WHEN:                        Wednesday, October 8, 2014

10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. (PLEASE NOTE SLIGHT DEPARTURE FROM USUAL TIME FOR BIWEEKLY PRESS BRIEFINGS)

WHERE:                       Future site of the Four Points Development Project; 2255 Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue SE 

BACKGROUND:           With the District’s population continuing to grow at a rate of more than 1,000 net new residents per month, Mayor Gray’s administration has sought innovative approaches to generating quality affordable housing and has leveraged as many resources as possible to boost the District’s supply of affordable housing. Mayor Gray revived the Housing Production Trust Fund Advisory Board, created the Comprehensive Housing Strategy Task Force and announced an ambitious and unprecedented goal to produce or preserve 10,000 affordable units by the year 2020.

, , , ,

Leave a comment

1648 U Street SE; city owned abandominium since 2004

1648 U Street SE

1648 U Street SE

 

Address: 1648 U ST SE
SSL: 5765 0884
Record Details
Neighborhood: ANACOSTIA Sub-Neighborhood: B
Use Code: 23  –  Residential Flats-Less than 5 Class 3 Exception: No
Tax Type: DC  – District of Columbia Tax Class: 001 –  Residential
Homestead Status: ** Not receiving the Homestead Deduction
Assessor: ROBERT JACKSON
Gross Building Area: Ward: 8
Land Area: 2,684 Triennial Group: 1
Owner and Sales Information
Owner Name: DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA SUITE 307
Mailing Address: 1350 PENNSYLVANIA AVE NW; WASHINGTON DC20004-3003
Sale Price: Not Available
Recordation Date: 05/13/2004
Instrument No.: 66999
Tax Year 2015 Preliminary Assessment Roll
  Current Value (2014) Proposed New Value (2015)
Land: $110,900 $122,150
Improvements: $28,440 $34,330
Total Value: $139,340 $156,480
Taxable Assessment: * $139,340 $156,480

, , ,

Leave a comment

What a surprise! DHCD cancels public meeting on its holdings of Anacostia abandominiums

, , ,

Leave a comment

DHCD holds community meeting on their holdings in Anacostia [Wednesday, August 27, 6:30 pm]

activities in anacostia meeting notice (1)_1

, ,

Leave a comment

“MaNR” tags Big K & Big Green

IMG_7144[1]

The tag of “MaNR” recently swept through Old Anacostia written prominently on 2238 Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue SE and the brick foundation in the rear of “Big Green” at 1220 Maple View Place.

 

IMG_7291[1]

 

 

, ,

Leave a comment

Can the city save two historic abandominiums in Old Anacostia?

Old Anacostia’s abandominiums abide. Some vacant a matter of weeks, others a couple years, many a decade or two or three. “An entire generation of children have grown up in Anacostia only knowing a neighborhood of abandominiums,” says local activist William Alston-El.

“Big Green” at 1220 Maple View in Historic Anacostia was recently acquired by the Department of Housing and Community Development. Photos by the author unless otherwise noted.

“Ask Rip Van Winkle; he could tell you the last time someone was living there,” Alston-El remarks as we stand in front of a two-story Victorian home at 1220 Maple View SE that has been abandoned for parts of six decades according to property records. A look down the street unfolds a panorama of the city with the Capitol Dome punctuating the skyline.

“The city owns it now. You think they’ll save it? They’re the only ones that can. They could if they wanted to but this isn’t the Anacostia people want to talk about.”

“Big Green” in old Anacostia has been vacant for parts of 6 decades, according to property records.

Teal paint still clings in places to the window frames of the home, known as “Big Green,” built in 1902 for N. R. Harnish, the shopkeeper at the Government Hospital for the Insane, just up Nichols Avenue, today Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue. Popular neighborhood myth has incorrectly held that the home was that of Dr. Charles H. Nichols, the first superintendent of the Government Hospital, today known as Saint Elizabeths. (Nichols died in December 1889 and lived on campus.)

By the late 1880s Harnish, an emigrant from Nova Scotia, was working at the Hospital and making $50 a month, according to government reportsIn 1901, Harnish was making more than $65 a month, and his wife, Annie, was making $18 as the assistant storekeeper. The next year, Harnish applied for a building permit to construct a two-story, multi-family dwelling for an estimated cost of $4,000.

 

View of the side of “Big Green” with 2/3 of a new foundation and boards holding up the home’s rear.

In August 1933, at the age of ninety-one, Nathaniel Robert Harnish passed away at his home. His funeral was held at Emanuel Episcopal Church at 13th and V Streets and he was interred at Rock Creek Cemetery. In February 1952, Annie S. Harnish, a resident of Washington for more than 60 years, passed away at 1220 Maple View Place. She was 98 years old. In November the property was transferred to a new owner, Rose Lawler, pursuant with Harnish’s will. In September of 1954 the home’s deed of trust was mortgaged by the Anacostia Federal Savings and Loan Association for $9,5000 with monthly payments of $71.25. A decade later, the house was returned to Lawler.

Ad from the January 1965 Washington Post for 1220 Maple View Place.

Soon thereafter, in late 1964, the home was advertised in the Post as being “VACANT – DECORATED.” The listing for 1220 Maple View SE read, “DETACHED TWO FAMILY, 2 klts., 2 baths, 10 rms., full bsmt., auto. heat., conv. area.” The ad ran for a number of months.

It is unclear from subsequent property and tax records when the house was next occupied. In conversations with area residents it appears the home may have been lived in for a short period during the 1980s. Other residents, such as Alston-El, are unable to confirm this, believing the home to be vacant for more than three decades. According to property records, Citicorp foreclosed on the home in March of 1990 when more than $19,000 was owed on the principal of the mortgage. According to property records and a 1992 real estate assessment directory, the home was purchased in May 1990 for $50,000 by a private individual. It has been continuously vacant since, with the exception of the occasional squatter or alley cat.

In recent years only squatters and alley cats have dared enter 1220 Maple View Place.

A number of years ago what remained of the decaying wrap-around porch was removed. More recently, in late 2005 and early 2006, a new foundation was laid in the back two-thirds of the home with original brick remaining towards the front. The rear has been held up from collapse by a weathered series of boards that extend at a 45 degree angle into the ground, nearly extending into the alley.

 

The rear of 1220 Maple View Place SE is held up by a series of boards.

The rear of 1220 Maple View Place SE is held up by a series of boards.

On May 20 the Department of Community and Housing Development secured the tax deed for just under $38,000. The proposed 2015 property value of the home and land are $157,470. According to a local developer familiar with historic preservation efforts in Anacostia, the cost of a full restoration could run well over a million dollars. “You could spend easy a half-million before you even start on the inside work. It’s leaning. It has to be stabilized. It could need a new roof, you got the porch to restore. It’s not going to be cheap,” the developer said on condition of anonymity.

Carol Goldman, President of The L’Enfant Trust wrote in an email,”I think ‘Big Green’ could well be a six figure rehabilitation project. In the Trust’s model, it would take charitable funding as well as and end user dollars – for example a veterans group, workforce housing group, or for an arts/community/education center.”

Does DHCD have a restoration plan for 1220 Maple View Place SE? Can the house be saved or will it vanish while under the city’s care like 2228 Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue SE?

In order to save the home, the city will have to act quickly, likely selling the property for a $1 and substantially subsidizing its restoration with grants. Through decades of private inattention and a lack of aggressive enforcement of public policies intended to prevent the demolition by neglect of old Anacostia, the razing of the property may be inevitable.

The acquisition of “Big Green” swells DHCD’s portfolio of abandominiums within Anacostia to over a dozen vacant residential and commercial properties. Here’s a look at another agency property in immediate need of preservation and restoration.

1326 Valley Place SE

Valley Place SE in 1885. Photo from the Historical Society of Washington.

In 1885 local streetcar president Henry A. Griswold built five detached single family homes as the first development to line Valley Street in Uniontown. To generate interest in his properties, which were built on speculation, Griswold put trees in front of each home and had a photograph taken that he distributed throughout the neighborhood.

The first 5 homes on Valley Street SE shown on an 1887 Hopkins Real Estate Map. Photo from DC Public Library, Special Collections.

In the mid-1930s a room for rent at 1326 Valley Place was advertised for $20 per month in local newspapers. By the late 1930s Earl Von Reichenbach, a prominent local architect, lived at the home with his son and dog. During World War II the address is listed for a GI returning to Washington but otherwise the public record on the home is rather bare. In 1985 the home was listed in a legal notice printed in the Post seeking owners of abandoned property. A private individual appears to have made a claim of ownership to the city but never acquired the deed.

1326 Valley Place in Historic Anacostia in 2010 before being re-acquired by the city.

According to property records, 1326 Valley Place was sold by the city in 2005 at a foreclosure auction for $2,044.14 to Darwin Trust Properties, LLC. Darwin Trust’s CEO was incarcerated while the city pursued legal action against the company under the demolition by neglect statute, one of only two times the city has prosecuted the statute. Through the litigation, the city was able to get a court order to let DCRA abate the property.

1326 Valley Place SE was cut in half a number of years ago to prevent further deterioration.

At some point in recent memory an industrial machine was brought in to cut off the rear of the home as though it was a loaf of bread. This was done in an effort to prevent further deterioration of the room which still has its original banister.

After half a decade of further deterioration, the city finally re-acquired the property in a November 2011 foreclosure sale for just under $12,000. According to a 2015 proposed tax assessment, the house is worth less than $2,500 and the land is valued $125,330 for a total of $127,750. In 2011 the property had a value of $135,900.

The contrast between 1326 Valley Place and 1328 Valley Place.

Last year the exterior of 1328 Valley Place SE, next door and one of the original five homes on the street, was fully restored, in part through a popular grant program coordinated by the Historic Preservation Office that targets 14 Historic Districts citywide. Given the historic character of 1326 Valley Place, we hope the city finds a way to restore what’s left. The rebirth of old Anacostia cannot occur with the continued neglect and slow death of one of the oldest homes in the city’s first subdivision.

Built in 1885, 1326 Valley Place SE hangs on for dear life in old Anacostia.

Can public policy save the homes?
DHCD is in the business of acquiring property within the purview and purpose of economic development. Preservation is not within their mission. The condition of 1220 Maple View Place and 1326 Valley Place is a result of decades of collective public and private neglect. As a last resort of preservation, the two properties have been acquired by the city. Now an effective policy or set of policies must be implemented to save these homes. Nothing less than the survival of old Anacostia is at stake.

 

A cluster of city-owned abandominiums at the top of Maple View Place and High Street in Anacostia were razed last summer.

Previous efforts have been made. For example, to apply pressure on owners of vacant and blighted properties, city legislators passed the “Fiscal Year 2011 Budget Support Act of 2010” which created a Class 3 property tax rate for vacant commercial and residential properties and a Class 4 tax rate for blighted properties. Class 3 properties are taxed at $5 per $100 of assessed value, Class 4 properties $10 per $100 of assessed value.

In contrast, Class 1, residential real property including multi-family, are assessed at $0.85 per $100, and Class 2, commercial and industrial, are taxed $1.65 per $100 up to the first $3 million of assessed value, and $1.85 for value exceeding $3 million.

1648 U Street SE in old Anacostia has been owned by the city since 2004.

This well-intentioned policy may cause vacant and blighted properties to rebound in strong markets such as Bloomingdale, Capitol Hill, Columbia Heights, Eckington, LeDroit Park and Shaw but in Anacostia the market is too soft for a return on investment. The risk in the private market is too great.

The L’Enfant Trust expects to put 1347 Maple View Place SE (pictured here) and 2010 14th Street SE on the market this fall.

As mentioned last monthThe L’Enfant Trust is putting more than $600,000 in grant money, pro-bono construction work and material donations towards each of the two homes the organization is restoring in Anacostia. They anticipate selling the homes for $350,000. For years restoration projects have stalled or stopped entirely. The Trust has moved according to its schedule in returning the properties to productive use. Their work is a ready and ongoing model for the city to follow.

Last summer, Aaron Wiener at the City Paper wrote about a property in Park View that shares a similar background as the two properties the city has acquired in old Anacostia.

To save these abandoned properties, he suggests, the “solution could be to bring the identification, acquisition, and disposal of vacant and blighted properties under a single agency with broader powers (and better funding for purchasing properties) than any of the relevant offices currently have. It could be a new budget initiative devoted exclusively to this purpose, or a law making it easier to tackle the legal hurdles to acquiring orphaned properties, or some combination.”

The “piecemeal approach we have now” harms neighborhoods citywide and has slowly destroyed some of the oldest homes in Anacostia. It is a tragedy so many homes have already been lost. Once these homes are gone they only exist in old newspapers, maps, property records, memories and blog posts. We need to do everything to save them while we still can.

What do you think? Should these houses be saved? Can they be saved? We hope so.

, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comment