Posts Tagged Eastern Branch
“SHIPPING IN THE EASTERN BRANCH” – From the time the city was laid out up to about 1840 all the shipping business of Washington was done in the Eastern Branch. In 1815 and ’16 there was a company in this city called the ‘Importing and Exporting Co.’ of which William Gowan was president, and which carried on a large trade with the West Indies, England and France. This company loaded and unloaded their ships in the Eastern Branch, by means of scows and flat boats before the requisite number of wharves had been built. They imported sugar and molasses principally, for which they sent back wheat and tobacco.”
Evening Star, “East Washington in the Past: Recollections of an Old Inhabitant.” 3 May, 1882, p. 2
The site of the “old Indian fort” as reflected in the early records of the Maryland General Assembly and the focus of subsequent scholarship and archaeological investigations was likely within this panorama.
RUNAWAYS CAUGHT. Three runaway slaves, who by robbery had procured a good supply of money, and a white man who wrote false passes for them, were recently captured at a rendezvous for such fellows, on the Eastern Branch, brought to Washington, and committed. The white man’s name is not given; the slaves were George D. Brown and Adam Gantt, belonging to Garret Roby and Henry Harmon, Esqs., of Charles County, Md., and Ostourn Moore, belonging to H. D. Hatton, Esq., of Prince George’s County.
Library of Congress, Prints & Photographs Division, LC-DIG-ppmsca-22799