Posts Tagged maps

Anacostia needs to learn some lessons… Capitol Hill Historic District Amendment-Expansion Nomination on the books.

Boschke _ Uniontown _ 1861For those that have formed organizations in advocacy of “Historic Preservation” and spoken on expanding Anacostia’s boundaries … Capitol Hill is already doing it. HPO and the city has requirements. You can’t wish on it. It takes research, documentation and procedural awareness.

Homes from the 1880s just up from 16th & W already gone. Harambe House gone. Old Barry Farm — the Freedmen’s Bureau Barry Farm — not protected.

Capitol Hill Historic District Amendment-Expansion Nomination

 Monday, December 29, 2014
Case 15-01

A nomination to expand the Capitol Hill Historic District boundaries to include all of Squares 753 and 778 and portions of  Squares 752 and 777 was filed by the Advisory Neighborhood Commission 6C in December 2014.

, , , , , ,

Leave a comment

1932 Map Showing Location of “white” and “colored” School Buildings [DC Engineer Commissioner]

DC Public Library, Special Collections

DC Public Library, Special Collections

Washington City schools once had separate boards for its “colored school” and white schools. In the early 1930’s there were only “white schools” in Anacostia. The Birney School, named after abolitionist James G. Birney, outside of Old Anacostia at the junction of Howard Avenue and Nichols Avenue was the local “colored school.” Today the building still stands as the Thurgood Marshall Academy.


DC Public Library, Special Collections

DC Public Library, Special Collections

The “white schools” located on this map are Ketcham Elementary School which today is at the corner of 15th Street and Good Hope Road, formerly Adams Street and Good Hope Road, and the Van Buren School and the Van Buren Annex which were on W Street, formerly Jefferson Street, and V Street, formerly Washington Street.

Anacostia High School, which was built in 1935, is not represented on the map. Additionally, the old Saint Teresa School, which opened in 1908 and is now abandoned, was a Catholic School and is not represented in this map of city schools. 

, , , , , ,

Leave a comment

1930 map of Anacostia & environs before Suitland Parkway & I-295

DC Public Library, Special Collections

DC Public Library, Special Collections

This 1930 map from the collection of the Washingtoniana Division – Special Collections Department of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Library shows Anacostia and surrounding environs pre-Suitland Parkway, which opened in 1944, and pre-Interstate-295, which opened in the 1950s

You might notice the train tracks that were still in use…


Map of the Permanent System of Highways; District of Columbia: Prepared Under the Direction of the Engineer Commission in the Office of the Surveyor, 1930


, , , ,

Leave a comment

1980 map of land use in Historic Anacostia

1980 - Anacostia focus areaAlthough changes are slowly creeping through Anacostia there remain many vacant lots within the residential area and numerous parking surfaces lining the commercial strip. Here is a map from 1980 that diagrams the varied land uses in Anacostia. Notice any significant differences?


1980 _ Existing Land Use Map - Ward 6 - AnacostiaKEY:

Yellow: detached and semi-detached dwellings

Brown: row dwellings

Salmon: flats/garden apartments

Burgundy: mid and high rise apartments

Orange: retail, office and hotel

Green: parks, open space and cemeteries

Pink: industrial

Light blue: local public facilities

Dark blue: private institutions

Blue: federal facilities

White: vacant or parking


, , ,

Leave a comment

Can the city save two historic abandominiums in Old Anacostia?

Old Anacostia’s abandominiums abide. Some vacant a matter of weeks, others a couple years, many a decade or two or three. “An entire generation of children have grown up in Anacostia only knowing a neighborhood of abandominiums,” says local activist William Alston-El.

“Big Green” at 1220 Maple View in Historic Anacostia was recently acquired by the Department of Housing and Community Development. Photos by the author unless otherwise noted.

“Ask Rip Van Winkle; he could tell you the last time someone was living there,” Alston-El remarks as we stand in front of a two-story Victorian home at 1220 Maple View SE that has been abandoned for parts of six decades according to property records. A look down the street unfolds a panorama of the city with the Capitol Dome punctuating the skyline.

“The city owns it now. You think they’ll save it? They’re the only ones that can. They could if they wanted to but this isn’t the Anacostia people want to talk about.”

“Big Green” in old Anacostia has been vacant for parts of 6 decades, according to property records.

Teal paint still clings in places to the window frames of the home, known as “Big Green,” built in 1902 for N. R. Harnish, the shopkeeper at the Government Hospital for the Insane, just up Nichols Avenue, today Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue. Popular neighborhood myth has incorrectly held that the home was that of Dr. Charles H. Nichols, the first superintendent of the Government Hospital, today known as Saint Elizabeths. (Nichols died in December 1889 and lived on campus.)

By the late 1880s Harnish, an emigrant from Nova Scotia, was working at the Hospital and making $50 a month, according to government reportsIn 1901, Harnish was making more than $65 a month, and his wife, Annie, was making $18 as the assistant storekeeper. The next year, Harnish applied for a building permit to construct a two-story, multi-family dwelling for an estimated cost of $4,000.


View of the side of “Big Green” with 2/3 of a new foundation and boards holding up the home’s rear.

In August 1933, at the age of ninety-one, Nathaniel Robert Harnish passed away at his home. His funeral was held at Emanuel Episcopal Church at 13th and V Streets and he was interred at Rock Creek Cemetery. In February 1952, Annie S. Harnish, a resident of Washington for more than 60 years, passed away at 1220 Maple View Place. She was 98 years old. In November the property was transferred to a new owner, Rose Lawler, pursuant with Harnish’s will. In September of 1954 the home’s deed of trust was mortgaged by the Anacostia Federal Savings and Loan Association for $9,5000 with monthly payments of $71.25. A decade later, the house was returned to Lawler.

Ad from the January 1965 Washington Post for 1220 Maple View Place.

Soon thereafter, in late 1964, the home was advertised in the Post as being “VACANT – DECORATED.” The listing for 1220 Maple View SE read, “DETACHED TWO FAMILY, 2 klts., 2 baths, 10 rms., full bsmt., auto. heat., conv. area.” The ad ran for a number of months.

It is unclear from subsequent property and tax records when the house was next occupied. In conversations with area residents it appears the home may have been lived in for a short period during the 1980s. Other residents, such as Alston-El, are unable to confirm this, believing the home to be vacant for more than three decades. According to property records, Citicorp foreclosed on the home in March of 1990 when more than $19,000 was owed on the principal of the mortgage. According to property records and a 1992 real estate assessment directory, the home was purchased in May 1990 for $50,000 by a private individual. It has been continuously vacant since, with the exception of the occasional squatter or alley cat.

In recent years only squatters and alley cats have dared enter 1220 Maple View Place.

A number of years ago what remained of the decaying wrap-around porch was removed. More recently, in late 2005 and early 2006, a new foundation was laid in the back two-thirds of the home with original brick remaining towards the front. The rear has been held up from collapse by a weathered series of boards that extend at a 45 degree angle into the ground, nearly extending into the alley.


The rear of 1220 Maple View Place SE is held up by a series of boards.

The rear of 1220 Maple View Place SE is held up by a series of boards.

On May 20 the Department of Community and Housing Development secured the tax deed for just under $38,000. The proposed 2015 property value of the home and land are $157,470. According to a local developer familiar with historic preservation efforts in Anacostia, the cost of a full restoration could run well over a million dollars. “You could spend easy a half-million before you even start on the inside work. It’s leaning. It has to be stabilized. It could need a new roof, you got the porch to restore. It’s not going to be cheap,” the developer said on condition of anonymity.

Carol Goldman, President of The L’Enfant Trust wrote in an email,”I think ‘Big Green’ could well be a six figure rehabilitation project. In the Trust’s model, it would take charitable funding as well as and end user dollars – for example a veterans group, workforce housing group, or for an arts/community/education center.”

Does DHCD have a restoration plan for 1220 Maple View Place SE? Can the house be saved or will it vanish while under the city’s care like 2228 Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue SE?

In order to save the home, the city will have to act quickly, likely selling the property for a $1 and substantially subsidizing its restoration with grants. Through decades of private inattention and a lack of aggressive enforcement of public policies intended to prevent the demolition by neglect of old Anacostia, the razing of the property may be inevitable.

The acquisition of “Big Green” swells DHCD’s portfolio of abandominiums within Anacostia to over a dozen vacant residential and commercial properties. Here’s a look at another agency property in immediate need of preservation and restoration.

1326 Valley Place SE

Valley Place SE in 1885. Photo from the Historical Society of Washington.

In 1885 local streetcar president Henry A. Griswold built five detached single family homes as the first development to line Valley Street in Uniontown. To generate interest in his properties, which were built on speculation, Griswold put trees in front of each home and had a photograph taken that he distributed throughout the neighborhood.

The first 5 homes on Valley Street SE shown on an 1887 Hopkins Real Estate Map. Photo from DC Public Library, Special Collections.

In the mid-1930s a room for rent at 1326 Valley Place was advertised for $20 per month in local newspapers. By the late 1930s Earl Von Reichenbach, a prominent local architect, lived at the home with his son and dog. During World War II the address is listed for a GI returning to Washington but otherwise the public record on the home is rather bare. In 1985 the home was listed in a legal notice printed in the Post seeking owners of abandoned property. A private individual appears to have made a claim of ownership to the city but never acquired the deed.

1326 Valley Place in Historic Anacostia in 2010 before being re-acquired by the city.

According to property records, 1326 Valley Place was sold by the city in 2005 at a foreclosure auction for $2,044.14 to Darwin Trust Properties, LLC. Darwin Trust’s CEO was incarcerated while the city pursued legal action against the company under the demolition by neglect statute, one of only two times the city has prosecuted the statute. Through the litigation, the city was able to get a court order to let DCRA abate the property.

1326 Valley Place SE was cut in half a number of years ago to prevent further deterioration.

At some point in recent memory an industrial machine was brought in to cut off the rear of the home as though it was a loaf of bread. This was done in an effort to prevent further deterioration of the room which still has its original banister.

After half a decade of further deterioration, the city finally re-acquired the property in a November 2011 foreclosure sale for just under $12,000. According to a 2015 proposed tax assessment, the house is worth less than $2,500 and the land is valued $125,330 for a total of $127,750. In 2011 the property had a value of $135,900.

The contrast between 1326 Valley Place and 1328 Valley Place.

Last year the exterior of 1328 Valley Place SE, next door and one of the original five homes on the street, was fully restored, in part through a popular grant program coordinated by the Historic Preservation Office that targets 14 Historic Districts citywide. Given the historic character of 1326 Valley Place, we hope the city finds a way to restore what’s left. The rebirth of old Anacostia cannot occur with the continued neglect and slow death of one of the oldest homes in the city’s first subdivision.

Built in 1885, 1326 Valley Place SE hangs on for dear life in old Anacostia.

Can public policy save the homes?
DHCD is in the business of acquiring property within the purview and purpose of economic development. Preservation is not within their mission. The condition of 1220 Maple View Place and 1326 Valley Place is a result of decades of collective public and private neglect. As a last resort of preservation, the two properties have been acquired by the city. Now an effective policy or set of policies must be implemented to save these homes. Nothing less than the survival of old Anacostia is at stake.


A cluster of city-owned abandominiums at the top of Maple View Place and High Street in Anacostia were razed last summer.

Previous efforts have been made. For example, to apply pressure on owners of vacant and blighted properties, city legislators passed the “Fiscal Year 2011 Budget Support Act of 2010” which created a Class 3 property tax rate for vacant commercial and residential properties and a Class 4 tax rate for blighted properties. Class 3 properties are taxed at $5 per $100 of assessed value, Class 4 properties $10 per $100 of assessed value.

In contrast, Class 1, residential real property including multi-family, are assessed at $0.85 per $100, and Class 2, commercial and industrial, are taxed $1.65 per $100 up to the first $3 million of assessed value, and $1.85 for value exceeding $3 million.

1648 U Street SE in old Anacostia has been owned by the city since 2004.

This well-intentioned policy may cause vacant and blighted properties to rebound in strong markets such as Bloomingdale, Capitol Hill, Columbia Heights, Eckington, LeDroit Park and Shaw but in Anacostia the market is too soft for a return on investment. The risk in the private market is too great.

The L’Enfant Trust expects to put 1347 Maple View Place SE (pictured here) and 2010 14th Street SE on the market this fall.

As mentioned last monthThe L’Enfant Trust is putting more than $600,000 in grant money, pro-bono construction work and material donations towards each of the two homes the organization is restoring in Anacostia. They anticipate selling the homes for $350,000. For years restoration projects have stalled or stopped entirely. The Trust has moved according to its schedule in returning the properties to productive use. Their work is a ready and ongoing model for the city to follow.

Last summer, Aaron Wiener at the City Paper wrote about a property in Park View that shares a similar background as the two properties the city has acquired in old Anacostia.

To save these abandoned properties, he suggests, the “solution could be to bring the identification, acquisition, and disposal of vacant and blighted properties under a single agency with broader powers (and better funding for purchasing properties) than any of the relevant offices currently have. It could be a new budget initiative devoted exclusively to this purpose, or a law making it easier to tackle the legal hurdles to acquiring orphaned properties, or some combination.”

The “piecemeal approach we have now” harms neighborhoods citywide and has slowly destroyed some of the oldest homes in Anacostia. It is a tragedy so many homes have already been lost. Once these homes are gone they only exist in old newspapers, maps, property records, memories and blog posts. We need to do everything to save them while we still can.

What do you think? Should these houses be saved? Can they be saved? We hope so.

, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comment

1874 Uniontown Map [Faehtz and Pratt, p. 20]

DC Public Library, Special Collections

DC Public Library, Special Collections

, , ,

Leave a comment

Lower Nichols Avenue, 1959 Baist Real Estate Map, Vol. 4., plate 21

DC Public Library, Special Collections

DC Public Library, Special Collections


1) The Bowling Alley where today the long-vacant America Furniture Store is at 2004 MLK Jr. Avenue. Speculation is it will be reincarnated in some form or another as a restaurant. The property is currently owned by the FAR SE Family Strengthening Collaborative.

2) The presence of Curtis Brothers Furniture store — their warehouse and showroom. Remember, in 1959 they erected the “Big Chair.”

3) The presence of a large auto dealer at the present-day SE corner of Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue and V Street where today there is an Health & Human Services Office.




, , ,

Leave a comment

“Indian Fort of the Anacostia River and Review of Anacostin Tribal History in the District of Columbia” by Louis Dow Scisco (1955)

Nova Virginia TabulaINTRODUCTORY

The old Indian fort at the Eastern Branch is not important historically, but its former existence lends a touch of glamour to the vague picture that we have of the District of Columbia in the early colonial period. It is natural that one should become curious about the position where the old fort once stood as a remaining relic of the Indian life that was here. In his research on the question of location the writer was fortunate in being able to reach the Poplar Point section before the destruction wrought by modern engineering. He came in time to see the old vestigial ridge, to trace the former shore line of the estuary, to wander over the ancient hillside of the valley slope, and to look down on Stickfoot Creek in its narrow ravine. He can. therefore, write of these features with knowledge. although they no longer exist at this later day.

L. D. S.

, , , , , ,

Leave a comment

Housing Problems, Conditions & Trends in the District of Columbia [Prepared by Mayor Marion S. Barry, Jr. by DHCD – June 1979] Neighborhood Classification, p. 4.


This map clarifies neighborhoods according to the categories shown in the legend. They are based on the following factors which are illustrated in subsequent maps: ownership patterns, yearly income of residents, real estate sales and prices, welfare assistance and the condition of housing.

DC Public Library, Special Collections

DC Public Library, Special Collections

Sound [Yellow]: Residents in three neighborhoods have high enough incomes to maintain their properties without public assistance. Northwest areas west of Rock Creek Park are classified as sound neighborhoods together with Capitol Hill. The only sound neighborhoods east of the Anacostia River are located south of Fort Dupont Park.

Distressed [Blue]: Residents require considerable assistance because of low incomes and poor housing conditions. Many of these areas also contain a concentration of public housing in need of significant improvement. Distressed neighborhoods west of the river include Ivy City and portions of the Southwest. East of the Anacostia River, the poorest housing conditions are found in Deanewood, Burrville, Northeast Boundary, Greenway, Anacostia, Congress Heights, Washington Highlands and Douglass.

Stable / Declining [Green]: Neighborhoods are in stable condition, with households of moderate income and high ownership, requiring little or no public assistance; or, are beginning to show deteriorating building conditions because resident incomes are not keeping pace with increasing costs of home ownership. West of the River, neighborhoods in this category are south Petworth, Parkview, Columbia Heights, LeDroit Park, Bloomingdale, Eckington, Edgewood and most of the neighborhoods east of the Anacostia River.

Transitional (early or advanced) [Red]: Neighborhoods in the early stages of transition are characterized by a surge in reinvestment and rehabilitation; whereas, neighborhoods in the most advanced stages are those experiencing extensive displacement of low and moderate income families by higher income households. Change began in Dupont Circle and Adams Morgan and spread east into Shaw and north along 14th Street, as well as into LeDroit Park and Eckington. The change which began in Capitol Hill spread further east into Lincoln Park, south to the Southeast, and north to the Stanton Park. No radical changes are occurring east of the River, though real estate activity is becoming significant but at a lower level of intensity.

This map further serves to highlight the different characteristics between areas east and west of the Anacostia River. West of the River and west of Rock Creek Park, neighborhoods are in basically sound and stable condition. The most concentrated real estate activity is found in and around the central city. Displacement is, therefore, the major problem west of the River; whereas the main concern east of the Anacostia River is the declining condition of the housing stock. Also, the majority of distressed and declining neighborhoods are found east of the River.

, , , ,

Leave a comment

1887 Hopkins Real Estate Map – Uniontown (Anacostia P.O.) [Plat 41]

1887 Hopkins plat map

, , ,

Leave a comment