Archive for May, 2014
1) The Bowling Alley where today the long-vacant America Furniture Store is at 2004 MLK Jr. Avenue. Speculation is it will be reincarnated in some form or another as a restaurant. The property is currently owned by the FAR SE Family Strengthening Collaborative.
2) The presence of Curtis Brothers Furniture store — their warehouse and showroom. Remember, in 1959 they erected the “Big Chair.”
3) The presence of a large auto dealer at the present-day SE corner of Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue and V Street where today there is an Health & Human Services Office.
The Mayor’s Agent for Historic Preservation Hearing Officer will continue the Mayor’s Agent Hearing for 2234 and 2238 Martin Luther King Avenue SE at 9:30 am on Friday May 30, Room 4302 (4th floor) 1100 4th Street SW. A copy of the updated Notice is printed below.
Notices are posted on the DC Historic Preservation Office website at http://tinyurl.com/b7ztr3x
FOR THE HISTORIC LANDMARK AND HISTORIC DISTRICT PROTECTION ACT
REVISED NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
Public notice is hereby given that the Mayor’s Agent will continue the public hearing, commenced on May 12, 2014, on an application affecting property subject to the Historic Landmark and Historic District Protection Act of 1978. Interested parties may appear and testify on behalf of, or in opposition to, the application. The hearing will be held at 1100 4th Street SW, Room 4302 (fourth floor).
Hearing Date: Monday, May 30, 2014 at 9:30 a.m.
Case Numbers: H.P.A. 14-221 and 14-222
Address: 2234 and 2238 Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue (and 1328 W Street) SE
Squares/Lots: Square 5802, Lots 811 and 978 (and Square 5781, Lot 847)
Applicants: Chapman Development and the District of Columbia Department of
Housing and Community Development
Type of Work: Raze/move – Relocation of two contributing buildings to another lot in order to construct a new building on their sites
Affected Historic Property: Anacostia Historic District
Affected ANC: 8A
The Applicant’s claim is that the “issuance of the permit to relocate the buildings is ‘necessary in the public interest because it is necessary to construct a project of special merit’ and ‘[t]hat the issuance of the permit or admission of the subdivision to record is necessary in the public interest because it is consistent with the purposes of the Act as set forth in D.C. Official Code § 6-1101(b).'”
The hearing will be conducted in accordance with the Rules of Procedure pursuant to the Historic Landmark and Historic District Protection Act (Title 10C DCMR Chapters 4 and 30), which are on file with the D.C. Historic Preservation Office and posted on the Office website under “Regulations.”
Interested persons or parties are invited to participate in and offer testimony at this hearing. Any person wishing to testify in support of or opposition to the application may appear at the hearing and give evidence without filing in advance. However, any affected person who wishes to be recognized as a party to the case is required to file a request with the Mayor’s Agent at least ten working days prior to the hearing. This request shall include the following information: 1) his or her name and address; 2) whether he or she will appear as a proponent or opponent of the application; 3) if he or she will appear through legal counsel, and if so, the name and address of legal counsel; and 4) a written statement setting forth the manner in which he or she may be affected or aggrieved by action upon the application and the grounds upon which he or she supports or opposes the application. Any requests for party status should be sent to the Mayor’s Agent at 1100 4th Street SW, Suite E650, Washington, D.C. 20024. For further information, contact the Historic Preservation Office, at (202) 442-8800.
The “ANACOSTIA” neon sign is historic. It has been turned off for a while now. Why? Squiggly nonsense that has been affixed to the building is illuminated. This is not art.
According to a comment on The Great Ward Eight Facebook page.
“Craig Kraft, longtime DC neon artist and new owner of 1239 Good Hope Road (building next door to the Honfluer Gallery), is the person behind the “squiggly nonsense”. He’ll be opening up a studio sometime this year or next at that site. As far as why the Anacostia sign isn’t lit, is anyone’s guess.”
“Indian Fort of the Anacostia River and Review of Anacostin Tribal History in the District of Columbia” by Louis Dow Scisco (1955)
The old Indian fort at the Eastern Branch is not important historically, but its former existence lends a touch of glamour to the vague picture that we have of the District of Columbia in the early colonial period. It is natural that one should become curious about the position where the old fort once stood as a remaining relic of the Indian life that was here. In his research on the question of location the writer was fortunate in being able to reach the Poplar Point section before the destruction wrought by modern engineering. He came in time to see the old vestigial ridge, to trace the former shore line of the estuary, to wander over the ancient hillside of the valley slope, and to look down on Stickfoot Creek in its narrow ravine. He can. therefore, write of these features with knowledge. although they no longer exist at this later day.
Thank you, Brian Kraft.
You can see this 1-story structure was built to be a “store.”
Today Nam’s Market is at the corner of W Street and Chester Street SE. Back in 1901 that was the corner of Jefferson and Polk Street SE.